The Day of the Dead is the biggest cultural holiday in Mexico, and it has been used as inspiration for entertainment across the globe, including slot lovers.
One of the online gaming software companies that have tapped into this holiday is Booming Games to release the Sugar Skulls slot.
Sugar Skulls Pokie Review
Sugar Skulls is an on-point depiction of the Day of the Dead, thus the skulls featured on the reels. The celebratory nature of the holiday is brought to life on the set with a pop of colours used in nearly all the elements of the game.
The game has five reels and three rows that are developed using stunning pink shades with different patterns drawn on it. The reels are separated using thin gold lines while the outer casing of the set carries blue and pink shades.
The backdrop of the slot is not left in clear view, but one can tell that it’s a shrine with candles and skeleton artefacts placed on a white sheet.
The guitar tunes that play in the background are inspired by Mexican music, which brings the theme of the game together. Players can choose to turn it off, however, using the speaker button at the bottom right of the screen.
Booming Games is a relatively popular name in the online gaming scene, and its impressive following prompts the provision of its releases on mobile devices.
For this reason, Sugar Skulls and most of its games are built using HTML5 technology; this makes the game accessible on some of the best of smartphone and tablet operating systems such as Android, Blackberry, Windows, and iOS.
Access to the game on these gadgets is made easier by its development in instant play mode, which requires no download for it to operate.
Playing Sugar Skulls Slot
Slot games have remained uncontested in terms of global popularity since their invention in the eighteenth century for numerous reasons, one of the main ones being the maintenance of a straightforward gameplay procedure.
No strategy is applied during gameplay, and all gamblers have to do is place their stake and spin the reels. The same case applies in the Sugar Skulls online slot, so both new and seasoned players can engage the set freely.
The UI panel at the bottom of the screen facilitates gameplay with different functions and fields including:
- Pays – shows the wins provided by each three to five of each icon combinations. The payouts indicated change depending on the stake placed by the punter.
- i – opens a second screen with the rules of the game, functions of each button on the screen, bonuses offered, and the terms and conditions of engaging in the set.
- Lines – indicates the number of paylines in the game which are twenty. These lines cannot be adjusted and have to all be used during gameplay.
- Total bet – displays the total stake placed for each round. The amount can be adjusted using the up and down toggle keys placed on each side of the field. Sugar Skulls allows bets from as little as 0.2 credits to as much as four hundred.
- The letter A encased in a rotating arrow – activates autoplay, which is stopped by pressing the same button.
- Golden, rotating arrow – spins the reels.
- Bet Max – places the highest stake of four hundred credit automatically.
- Balance – shows the total amount the player has remaining in their account.
- Quaver – mutes music.
- Speaker – mutes sound effects.
These elements are the same in both the free and real money versions of Sugar Skulls pokies machine.
The free version is played using fun credits that simulate real money wins. However, they are not made available for withdrawal.
Booming Games pays players in the form of credits in most of their slots, including Sugar Skulls. These payouts are triggered by three or more symbols of the same kind landing on a bet line from left to right.
The characters have to be on adjacent reels and begin from the leftmost reel. The table below provides details on the payouts of each icon combination when the highest stake is placed:
||Winnings for three (credits)
||Winnings for four (credits)
||Winnings for five (credits)
A bonus round and free spins can be triggered in the game as well.
Sugar Skulls slot features in a good number of NZ online casinos where both free and real money versions can be accessed.